Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Break Field Trip

Laura and I took the kids to Salt Lake City for the day during Spring break. I don't usually go on outings, so it was a big deal for me. (And probably for the kids too.) We found a coupon for the Utah Museum of Natural History to get the kids in for free. Free is nice. There were quite a few school groups there, so the place was pretty crowded. (Not so great with Sophie in tow!) I think the kids' favorite part was pretending to dig up fossils at the end.






We got to see a silly little dinosaur show teaching about Ceratopsians. Then we wandered around the museum where I constantly had to snag Sophie and bring her back to our little group. Sophie wasn't in the mood for pictures until finally we came to a little weird log cabin display. For some reason she was ready for the camera there. (Finicky child!)

After the museum we went to Carl's Jr for some lunch. This was Brock's favorite place of the day. Then we went to the Clark Planetarium. It smells like a movie theater, so Abby was disappointed to not get popcorn there. We wandered around looking at a few experiments and things showing phases of the moon and other planety kinds of things. They had fun moon and mars displays where the girls pretended to be on different planets. They also had a weather display where you can pretend to be a weather-caster.

(I told them Mars was really hot.)



After the planetarium, we headed over to the Olympic fountain at the Gateway. Abby LOVED getting all wet - but afterwards regretting soaking wet jeans. She said, "I feel like a sog ball!" It was funny. Sophie didn't want to have anything to do with getting wet, so she sat on the sidewalk and ate Smarties.



Ethan figured out the pathways to walk in which he would NOT get wet.



These girls sure have a lot of fun together!

It was a fun trip - if a little taxing on me. I woke up the next day with a very sore right arm from carrying Sophie around so much. Thankfully I didn't have to worry about a little crying Alice during our trip since she stayed home with Tom. Anyway, maybe I'll try something like this again some time. There are probably some great places close by that I've never been to - let alone my little girls.

1 comment:

Andrea Landaker said...

Wow, that looks like great fun!

Would you recommend the Utah Museum of Natural History, or the Thanksgiving Point dinosaur museum?